Reptiles

Reptiles
Silly Grins

Monday, June 18, 2012

Revelation: In Advertising

Call it a coincidence or whatever. It's been over a year since being pushed out of the cargo hold (some might even say jumped). Either way, there's been progress. And that progress has been good. Or it wouldn't be called 'progress', now would it




Well, as coincidence/chance/fate would have it, today's revelation comes across in a similar way as last year's, only perhaps a little more compact in terms of the 'viewing time' (3:53 vs 1:56).

In many ways, listening to the interview brings to mind why some blogs/books/movies are more interesting than others. More interesting is not necessarily fun and usually not comforting.

'Good' and 'Evil' get all mixed up. 





Sorry... got a little carried away there.

Come to think of it, he even has a set of three, his 'dreamer's trilogy': a child's perspective, a thirty-something, and an old man.

 The 'revelation'
 

He started out in advertising. 
Least I think that's what it says.
And then he got jaded, like so:
I became terrified that I was going to be a full-time, [snob-throwing tourist] if I stayed [in the U.S.] because it was the beginning of really bad times in America. It was '66–'67, it was the first police riot in Los Angeles. [...] In college my major was political science, so my brain worked that way. [...] And I drove around this little English Hillman Minx—top down—and every night I'd be hauled over by the cops. Up against the wall, and all this stuff. They had this monologue with me; it was never a dialogue. It was that I was a long-haired drug addict living off some rich guy’s foolish daughter. And I said,
"No, I work in advertising. I make twice as much as you do." 
Which is a stupid thing to say to a cop. [...]
And it was like an epiphany. I suddenly felt what it was like to be a black or Mexican kid living in L.A. Before that, I thought I knew what the world was like, I thought I knew what poor people were, and then suddenly it all changed because of that simple thing of being brutalized by cops. And I got more and more angry and I just felt, I've got to get out of here—I'm a better cartoonist than I am a [boob marker]. That's why so much of the U.S. is still standing.
—"[S4lm4n Rhush-Dee] talks with T3rry G1ll1Am"[3]

Now, when thinking about people wanting to have answers and look for those little shards of 'success' amidst the mother lodes of failure, this comes to mind:





just a sample 


of the mess

Behold... a shard of truth!
 
Careful not to step on it ! (f@#king smiley face)

Without the neural 'what-ya-ma-call-it', life on the rock would definitely be mildly depressing. Instead, it's something else. Something else totally different.  

Whatever...



9 comments:

  1. I have a massive fear of failure that always hangs on me like some monkey on pcp's but it drives me so it's end result is nice.

    LOL@ the Evil link.

    Not that it's actually funny but that it's the opposite of what folks once believed. Priests rape children...politicians rape the poor of pocket and spirit....when do we sue those evil fuckers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkeys... used to think they were cute. Not any more. Not the ones around here. Let's not talk about them now.

      The Evil, non-simian evil (small 'e')... the Evil link was thrown in at the last moment. Which goes to show how easy or how easily things are allowed to happen. People could start first with protecting their family (a big step for some, ironically). To protect one's own brood... I don't know if that is being optimistic in a 'Schindler' way... to at least be talking about what is going on gets people thinking, if (according to Gilliam) the package isn't delivered in such a way that lets folks simply feel good and forget.

      Maybe the danger of having things wrapped up too neatly in packages (blog/book/movie)... maybe the danger is that that kind of open acceptance of a pre-wrapped no-think package is what allows people to get taken advantage of by clergy, politicians, and folks who wield power.

      Now that suing is an option, 'thanks to lawyers' (never thought I would be say that)... now that legal options seem to be all the rage these days, people will be less hesitant to speak up.

      This morning's 'good' prayer:
      Should I close the window of my mind, may there always be a Kubrick close at hand.

      This morning's 'evil' prayer:
      Should I see a monkey from my window, may my aim be straight and my hand be steady with each and every brick.

      Delete
    2. "Maybe the danger of having things wrapped up too neatly in packages (blog/book/movie"

      You forgot the thought killer...the iller.

      Twitter.

      It has reduced thoughts into a strictly enforced character count.

      My God...what have we become?

      Delete
    3. Earlier on, when FB was starting to kind of take off, someone suggested a little Tweet. "Come on man, it's free... you'll like it." For some reason, it just didn't seem right. Not that there's anything wrong with being able to get a point across in as few words as possible. It's just, the whole thing is about trying to free the mind, not turn it into some kind of haiku savant rocking back and forth waiting for those next 140 characters from something celebrated as a "diabolically addictive social-networking tool."

      The disorientation of free-falling through a book or blog that demands accepting another reality for maybe even a moment of discomfort... there's value in that.

      I have a 'T' account somewhere, but I don't think I've used it more than once. Someone somewhere said that more than 95% (my numbers) of what is sent is more or less noise. If there is something important and worth really knowing, I figure that it will get broadcast sooner or later. And if it is really big news, like really big on a global scale, then it probably won't make a difference one way or another 'cause it will be too late anyway.

      It's already such a challenge just trying to figure out what I'm thinking, feeling, and...god forbid... doing. If I really want to know what people are thinking, I would prefer to ask, in person.

      Now excuse me while I go lay down and attempt to get some sleep, hoping to dream about that Fleetwood Mac 8-track.

      Delete
  2. Both clips are very nice... Loved Time Bandits as a kid.

    The whole success vs. failure thing creates a lot of headaches, but the most important part is that if you don't like what you're doing on the way to success (or failure), life sucks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The most important part..." That's classic. And somehow frighteningly true. 'Like what you're doing'. That pretty much sums it up in terms of attitude. Your comment puts a 'feels-so-good-it-hurts smile' on my face even on the third read.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. "No, I work in advertising. I make twice as much as you do."

    Geez, this dude was asking for some trouble. Smarting off to the cop does nothing but get your ass beat or drugs planted, whichever is more entertaining for the cops in question. One of the funniest videos I've seen was a clip from the Chris Rock show on how to not get your ass kicked by the police. good one to check out.

    That picture in the plane, it looks like the dudes further up are having a bbq in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Rock... last time I watched one of his clips via Youtube, it was about being married and... well... being married made it really 'extra' funny. Put tears in my eyes. It's been a while, but I think I'll try him again.

      Delete
    2. Just watched... and only laughed at the 'don't ride with a mad woman' part. Relieved to have had something to laugh about.

      Delete